Handmade Soap vs Commercial Soaps
We all take shower everyday, but just how many of us KNOW what chemicals are used in our soaps. Or even if you know, are they really as natural as it claims to be?
Handmade Soaps vs Commercial Soaps
Before we dive right into the difference between Handmade Soaps and Commercial soaps, I would like to share our brand story behind our local brand.
So let's have a showdown between Natural soaps & Commercial soaps!
Take a look at your soap or cleanser used in your bathroom now. The general rule of thumb is when you can’t effortlessly pronounce the ingredients, it’s probably synthetic. A true natural handmade soap uses terms like Olive oil, Coconut oil & Palm oil, etc. The only chemical substance term in Natural soap would be sodium hydroxide which is just natural lye.
Here are some harmful ingredients found in Synthetic Soap:
- Parabens & Phenol: also known as common chemical preservatives. It is found in many personal care products and used in body wash. Parabens can also be linked to cancer and reproductive toxicity.
- Artificial Colouring: It can make attractive soaps, but it is dangerous for your skin. Unsafe colours add health problems to our lives every day such as cancer risks and skin irritation. Big brands use artificial colouring because they are much cheaper compared to natural alternatives.
- Petrochemicals: made from petroleum. Ahhh... the sweet smell of petrochemicals! Petroleum-based soaps actually strip the skins of its natural oils and it can cause long-term effects on your health and can even cause Breast Cancer too!
- Phthalates: Widely used in hair sprays, cosmetics and perfumes. It can cause a variety of health problems such as cancer and organ damage.
- Synthetic Perfume: Do you know that manufacturing a scent can actually take up to 3000 different chemical compounds? Artificial perfume scents, although they smell nice and the scent can be long-lasting, it can lead to allergies reactions and hormonal disruption.
If your shower or body products contain any of the following ingredients, you may want to think twice about using them. So are chemicals soaps really as clean as it seems to be? Hmm…
What happens to the environment?
Also, do you know that for every synthetic soap you use, the environment goes down the drain too. The chemicals used in commercial soaps not only damage our skin and health but also to the environment and aquatic system when you wash it down the drain during shower.
When you imagine millions of people using soap every day and these harmful chemicals are being washed into our waterways and end up in the aquatic system and harm marine life.
(Source: Savvy Sisters Media)
It is the same logic as plastic straw. What does one plastic straw change? It could be nothing but when you imagine it in millions, it sure makes a huge difference to the environment.
Oceania | Melon-scented soap
Handmade soaps can be customized any way you like with the fragrance, skin-loving oils, colours, exfoliants, textures etc. It is also a great way to use essentials oils derived from plants and natural colourants such as blueberries, turmeric and clays etc.
Clays have been used for centuries as a natural agent to help beautify the skin. It has the ability to absorb excess oils, dirt and harmful toxins from the skin.
Here’s a lil’ fact about Bamboo powder for those who do not know! (wink)
With its precious and exotic heritage, bamboo powder is known for its natural richness in silica, an essential element for its remineralizing, anti-acne, anti-wrinkles and anti-cellulite activity. The finely ground powder acts a gentle exfoliant, efficiently removing dead skin cells without damaging your delicate tissues.
Healthy & Natural ingredients used in handmade soaps:
- Essential Oils:
- Normally used in perfumes, aromatherapy and soap making. Essential oils are not only aromatic, but it also offers a range of therapeutic properties as well such as mood lifting.
Organic Oils: Such as olive oil, coconut oil and palm oil. Oils are actually a key ingredients in soap making! Without oils (or fatty acid of oils), the saponification reaction could not take place! It also helps to moisturize your skin too.
Aloe Vera, Natural herbs, Grains etc: These are some of the organic and botanical ingredients used in soaps to pamper & nourish your skin
We aim to give back to the environment
Handmade soaps are not only better for your skin, but also for the environment and our aquatic ecosystem. With Fairé, we also help to reduce wastage of excess cow milks in Cu Chi Village, Vietnam.
Taking ourselves back to our roots, Fairé has sought to only use natural ingredients in our products that are gentle on the skin. Well, sometimes we all need a break and so does your skin from all the chemicals we apply daily.
Our soaps are devoted to deliver the natural benefits of cow’s milk and other natural ingredients sourced in Vietnam while changing the world through our little efforts.
Fairé is a strong advocate of cruelty-free movement. No animal testing, unnatural ingredients, no artificial colouring involved. The reason behind the strong advocacy is simple – we are all surrounded by chemicals, processes and pollution all day long, the least we could do is the treat our skin right.
But why take our words for it? The best way to find out is to put it into the test and get your very own handmade soaps. It is definitely worth the try and experience! We just want to thank you for being part of this healthy ecosystem, for helping to make earth a better place to stay in. Thank you for taking the effort to reduce chemical intake and giving your skin a well-deserved detox. ♡